Armbrister Plantation Ruins
These ruins are located at the base of Mt. Alvernia and the Hermitage in New Bight. The Great House or mansion was built 1755-1760's (pre-Loyalist period) by Henry Hawkins Armbrister, a Scotsman. It is touted as the second oldest structure in The Bahamas.
The mansion was burned by enslaved Africans during a revolt before the Emancipation of Slaves in 1834. Some of the walls are still standing, and the doorways frame the great view of the bay that the Armbristers themselves must have enjoyed.
The terrain is hilly and bushy, so care should be taken by persons who are physically challenged or in wheelchairs.
Pet Friendly Notes
Leashed pets are allowed.
Time Period Represented
Mid to late 1700s
Sunrise to Sunset