Bannerman Town, located on the southern end of Eleuthera, was named after Governor Alexander Bannerman, a Scotsman who was Governor of The Bahamas during the 1850's. This settlement, though quiet and undeveloped, is rich with history. Residents live among the ruins of the famous Miller Plantation; and it is home to the only lighthouse in Eleuthera, atop one of the most beautiful and undiscovered beaches in The Bahamas called "Lighthouse Beach."
Family names that are closely associated with this town include Finley, Butler, Mackey, Miller, and McKenzie. The Millers came from Long Island, and the Butlers from Rum Cay ˗ many of them to work in the pineapple industry and to farm.