Bimini Big Game Club Wahoo Smackdown
Join in the catch at the Bimini Big Game Club's multi-leg smackdown for wahoo that is found worldwide in tropical and subtropical areas like The Bahamas. The wahoo is a prized game fish—and not just because of its fun name. This saltwater torpedo is known for its speed, tenacity, strength and excellent flavour. Closely related to another delicious fish, the mackerel, the wahoo is known as one of the best eating fish around; though you might see it listed as “peto” or “ono” on the menu, depending on the area.
While this species can usually be found in small groups of three or four, conditions in The Bahamas are perfect for running into schools of up to 100 fish. Bimini is one of the best locations for baiting some of the world’s largest wahoo, with November to April being the most ideal time for a trip.
This event may not be appropriate for persons that are in a wheelchairs or those with mobility impairments.
Participation Requirements (if any)
- Boundary category – 75 mile limit boats must remain in Bahamian waters
- Lines in the water at 6:00 a.m.
- GPS Coded in RED
- Must be back at the Bimini Big Game Marina dock by 5:00 p.m. to qualify
- Weigh up to five fish. Only three of the heaviest fish will count towards your score
- Notify us by radio (ch9) when you reach no wake zone and someone will meet you at the dock
- Boats coming in directly to weigh station, continue to our south dock and wait to be called in
- When you are called in please have bow and stern lines ready
- Unload ENTIRE catch and bring to weigh area for photos
- Choose three (3) largest to be weighed
- If you have outstanding catch – one of each will be weighed
- Fish not selected will be “marked” by our staff by cutting off each tail
- After team signs weight receipt, they will be provided a copy for their records
- Weighed fish will be “marked” and returned to your boat
Pet Friendly Notes
Pets are not allowed.
Registration fee is $1500 per boat (includes four anglers, tournament shirts, and entry to social events). Additional anglers (over four) are $250 each. Extra social tickets are $150 each.