Carleton Point at Treasure Cay
This spot was the founding city of Treasure Cay and is located on the northeast peninsula of what is now Treasure Cay Beach. Six hundred American Loyalists, who migrated to The Bahamas because of their allegiance to Great Britain during the American Revolution, built the settlement in 1783.
It was named Carleton Point after Sir Guy Carleton, a British Military Commander of North America, stationed in New York. However, in 1785, a hurricane struck the settlement and it was later deserted. Archaeologists have uncovered remains at the Loyalist settlement, and in September 1983 a bronze plaque was officially unveiled to commemorate the site. Plans are to construct a national monument and tourist attraction here.
Persons who are physically challenged or in wheelchairs should have no difficulty getting around, but should be careful in rocky areas.
Pet Friendly Notes
Leashed pets are allowed but should be controlled.
Time Period Represented
Sun Up to Sun Down