Dixon Hill Lighthouse
This lighthouse was built between 1856 and 1887 on a former plantation owned by John Dixon. The graves of John Dixon and his wife are located in the yard just a few feet from the lighthouse.
It is one of the few remaining manually-operated lighthouses in the world, and one of only three of its type in The Islands of The Bahamas. It is still occupied and operated by lighthouse keepers, living in separate houses, who tend the flame of the 400,000-candle–powered light by hand every 2 hours and 15 minutes. The lighthouse maintains four-hour watches nightly, giving a double flash every ten seconds.
The lighthouse stands 163 feet above sea level, with a visibility of 19 miles, and has 80 steps to the top; it is one of the most visited landmarks on the Island.
The site might not be suitable for persons who are physically challenged or in a wheelchair, due to the hilly and rocky terrain.
Pet Friendly Notes
Pets are not recommended.
Time Period Represented
Mid to Late 1800's
Sun Up to Sun Down