Governor's Harbour is the capital of Eleuthera and the center of commerce and government business offices for the district. Governor's Harbour is so called because the first seat of government was established here.
It is also the place where Captain William Sayle, ex-Governor of Bermuda, established the first settlement in The Bahamas at Cupid's Cay, which is joined to the mainland by a causeway. The causeway was originally a wooden bridge which was reportedly blown away in the gales of 1928 or 1929, a concrete bridge was later built. Cupid's Cay was also the location of the first U.S. Consulate and home to historic Wesley Methodist Church, which was built in 1883 and has a basement set into the rock.
Descendants of Governor's Harbour include the Bethel, Pyfrom, Sturrup, and Moss families.