Great Inagua Lighthouse
Great Inagua reportedly has the reputation of experiencing the first act of piracy in The Islands of The Bahamas in 1713
In subsequent years, many ships were wrecked in the reefs along the island's shoreline, and in 1870 The English Crown selected the island as a location for a lighthouse to be built in order to prevent such incidents. It is now one of only three remaining kerosene-burning lighthouses in The Bahamas and has resident lighthouse keepers who tend its flame and hand-crank it every two hours.
The classic all-white structure towers 113 feet (34.44 meters) and offers visibility to 17 miles (27.35 kilometers). A climb up the lighthouse offers amazing panoramic views of nearby Matthew Town and its environs.
This site is not suitable for persons with mobility impairments or those in wheelchairs.
Pet Friendly Notes
Leashed pets are permitted, but mush be controlled.
Time Period Represented
Sunrise to Sunset