Hatchet Bay, aka Alice Town, was named because of its harbour that is shaped like the head of a hatchet, with the handle being cut out by the sea. During the 1940's, a channel was cut out to facilitate boats coming into the harbour.
Years ago, Hatchet Bay was referred to as East End Point. The Hatchet Bay Plantation was established in 1936 by Mr. Austin Levy, which produced dairy and poultry products. It was purchased by the Bahamas Government in 1975 and subsequently controlled by the Bahamas Development Corporation. It is now closed, but the Silos stand tall as a reminder of how wealthy and striving the community once was.
It is also home to the Hatchet Bay Packing House, that is run by the Bahamas Department of Agriculture. Pineapples, cabbages, onions, watermelons, pumpkins, sweet peppers, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and cucumbers are some of the produce that is shipped to New Providence from Eleuthera.