Long Cay was originally called "Fortune Island" by Christopher Columbus, because he found a conch pearl when he first arrived there. In the annals of Bahamas history, it has the dubious honor of being home to the first jail within the islands; much of it is still standing. In its heyday, the cay was a major trading post and served as the Administrative headquarters for the three-island atoll. It once had 4,000 residents, but today has a very small population that is sometimes less than 50 persons.
The cay is home to historic St. David & St. Augustine's Anglican Church, dating from the late 1700s, which has a small cemetery with Loyalist gravestones and church services are held in a restored portion of it today.
There are great secluded beaches on the north side, with crystal clear water and clean white sand. Flamingos flock on the banks of the south shore and feed in the sandy bottom of shallow water near the flats. Located 10 miles from Crooked Island, the cay is serviced by a daily ferry into Cabbage Hill, which also coincides with flights to/from Nassau.
Access to the island is by boat from mainland Crooked Island; it is hilly with rocky terrain and is not suitable for persons who are physically challenged or in wheelchairs.
Pet Friendly Notes
Leashed pets are welcome, but must be controlled.
Time Period Represented
1700's to Present