The Lighthouse Tower
Completed on May 31, 1922, the Lighthouse Tower was built to aid Ragged Island boats in transporting goods traded with Cuba, Haiti and Nassau. It featured a wooden mask that stood about eight feet high, with a hook for a lantern at the top, and was once used as a lighthouse by local sailors who referred to it as, "an old guidance stick" because it helped the sailors at sea to find home. It was visible from the western side only, when in the harbor.
A storm has since split the wooden mask into two pieces, rendering it useless. The "Tower" is now just a scenic viewpoint; one can overlook the island from the top of the concrete staircase.
Located on the Wilson Estate, it is approximately two miles from Duncan Town. It is on the opposite side of the road from the Man-O-War Lighthouse (about 1.25 miles separate the two sites), and is accessible through a hiking trail.
Persons who are physically challenged or in wheelchairs might find it difficult traveling on the uneven terrain of the hiking trail and going up the steps to the tower.