This monument was erected in honor of Dr. Thomas W. Johnson, who served as the first family island doctor and was the first Bahamian to study at Harvard College in Massachusetts, obtaining a Master's Degree. He returned to the island and specialized in "Bush Medicine," natural, local herbal remedies used mostly by the African population and their descendants, instead of using chemical-based bottled medicines.
Later in life he was recognized for his public service, was subsequently made a Justice of the Peace and assisted the Commissioner of the day. He served as a doctor and Justice of the Peace until his death in 1895 and is buried in the Wesley Methodist Church Cemetery.
There is easy access to the site.
Pet Friendly Notes
Leashed pets are welcomed, but must be controlled.