The Ship Yard Beach
This area, formerly known as Bamboo Cay, became the first township of Great Harbour Cay in 1836, when then Governor Colebrooke established a settlement of liberated Africans here. It was cut in half to open the marina for a development in the 60’s and is now part of Bullock’s Harbour and Great Harbour Cay.
A 200 year old Tamarind tree still stands, which boat builders used for shade while making their boats; it gave them the ease to launch their vessels right off the beach. Remnants of grave sites can be seen in the area, along with Dilly trees, sisal plants, and the Community Well.
The beach is surrounded by sea grape trees, providing an opportunity for suntanning with limited shading. It is among the most visited and best beaches in The Berry Islands. French super model/actress Bridgette Bardot used to frequent this beach.
The site is not suitable for wheelchair access; persons who are physically challenged should take care when moving around.
Pet Friendly Notes
Pets are permitted on a leash, but must be controlled.
Time Period Represented
Mid 19th Century
Sunrise to Sunset